As the successor to the campaign to elect Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party, Momentum is a Labour Party focused organization and its structure must reflect that. Momentum seeks to strengthen the Labour Party by increasing participation and engagement at local, regional and national levels. Furthermore, Momentum is committed to supporting the Labour Party winning elections and entering government. It seeks to use its base in the Labour Party and Labour movement to reach out to the 99% of people who are not currently in any political party, spread Labour values and increase Labour Party membership.
WHAT DOES MOMENTUM WANT TO DO?
● Organise in every town, city and village to secure the election of a progressive left Labour Party at every level, and to create a mass movement for real transformative change to:
o Redistribute wealth and power from the few to the many;
o Put people and planet before profit and narrow corporate interests;
o End discrimination, advantage and privilege based on class;
o Target growth not austerity, invest to create tomorrow’s jobs and reverse privatisation of railways, the energy sector and public services.
o Provide protection at work and strong collective bargaining to stamp out workplace injustice.
o Ensure decent homes for all in public and private sectors through a big housebuilding programme and rent controls.
o Support workers and their trade unions defending the interests of their members, families and communities.
o End discrimination based on race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or age.
● Transform Labour into a more open, member-led party, with socialist policies and the collective will to implement them in government.
● Bring together individuals and groups in our workplaces and communities to campaign and organise on the issues that matter to us.
HOW WILL MOMENTUM DO THIS?
● Encourage those inspired by Jeremy Corbyn's leadership campaign to join and get involved in the Labour Party.
● Assist members in making their voice heard in Labour Party debates.
● Provide support, training and mentoring to help and encourage potential Labour candidates, ensuring there are more suitable candidates with a wide range of life experiences, especially working class, black, Asian, ethnic minority, LGBT, disabled and women candidates.
● Facilitate and coordinate the building and support of organisations that can make concrete improvements to people's lives, thereby demonstrating how collective action and Labour values can transform our society for the better.
● Organise inclusive events, rallies, meet ups and policy consultations for political education and mass mobilisation for a more democratic, equal and decent society.
WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN MOMENTUM AND THE LABOUR PARTY?
Momentum is the successor of the Jeremy Corbyn for Labour Leader campaign but it is independent, but supportive of, the Labour Party and Labour leadership.